Leaders have always needed intelligence. A high intelligence quotient (IQ) helps you work with facts and analyse problems, but it doesn’t help you to manage people. Emotional intelligence (EQ) helps you to understand people but most often only people who are similar to you. In the modern world we also work with people who are not like us. That is why modern leaders need cultural intelligence (CQ).
About the course
Cultural intelligence is the natural evolution from the well-established notions of IQ and EQ. Successful leaders need all three to lead effectively. CQ is the ability to cross divides - countries, generations, gender, industries or background - and to thrive in multiple cultures. Developing your CQ will enable you to work with people who are different from you, and become a natural leader in your organisation, community, business or place of study.
Developing Cultural Intelligence for Leadership (MOOC) is a free online course that will introduce you to the concept of CQ and explore its evolution and relevance to leadership.
You will hear personal stories from leaders who have developed their own cultural intelligence, which has helped them get where they are today. If you are a leader who has CQ, you will benefit from many more fresh ideas from your teams. If you want to have an impact in the world around you, you need CQ. This course is essential for anyone who wants to be successful in the work-place today.
What you’ll learn:
- To build the skills to lead across divides and thrive in multiple cultures.
- To go on a journey to uncover the cultural influences that make you think and act the way you do.
- To see how understanding yourself can help you work with other people.
- Skills to recognise what makes others tick and behave the way they do.
- To embrace diversity and recognise its role in innovative problem solving.
Starting date: 6 June 2016
Duration: 4 weeks
Instructor: Julia Middleton
Institution: Common Purpose