Three local prizes amounting to MYR 80,000 (USD 19,100) will be awarded to students from Malaysia. In addition, students from the East Asia region can win regional prizes worth MYR 320,000 (USD 76,000) in total.
Check out: What Is the IELTS test?
Eligible countries/territories include Hong Kong & Macau, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
Deadline runs until April 30
Applicants must achieve a minimum band score of 6 in each of the four test sections of an IELTS test taken with the British Council in the East Asia region from April 1, 2018 onward. The deadline for applications is April 30, 2019. The British Council warned that as the application deadline nears, the IELTS Prize online application system may be overloaded due to the large volume of applications. Hence, applicants are advised to submit their applications online at their earliest convenience.
Further eligibility criteria
- Be a permanent resident in one of the above mentioned countries/territories in the East Asia region
- Be able to upload a valid copy of a passport or identification document of the permanent residency you hold in the East Asia region in the application form
- Begin undergraduate or postgraduate study in academic year 2019/20
- Attend a higher educational institution that accepts IELTS as part of its admission requirements
- Be able to provide an acceptance letter from the attending institution by July 2019
The prize was launched in 2011, enabling more than 200 students so far to pursue tertiary education in destinations such as the UK, US, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, Poland, Singapore, and others. IELTS Prize winners studied a range of programs, from Medicine, International Relations and Engineering Science to Human Rights, Public Communication, Performance, and many more.
As an official test center, the British Council in Malaysia organizes up to four paper-based IELTS tests and eight computer-based IELTS tests a month.
Source: The British Council