The Study UK: Prepare to Study and Live in the UK massive open online course (MOOC) will examine the ways of teaching and learning in the UK, as well as student life. The course is entirely free and registration is now open.
Fiona Samson, Great Britain Campaign Director at the British Council, said:
This is for all international students who are about to embark on a life-changing experience and will allow them to join an online community of peers in the same position. With 437,000 international students coming to the UK to study, we recognize that preparing for success is beneficial not only for the students themselves, but also for UK higher education institutions and the reputation of the UK as a study destination.
Hosted on the FutureLearn platform, the MOOC will have 12 hours of content available. The course includes video lessons from experts in the higher education sector and mentor support throughout the course.
The University of Reading won the open tender to work with the British Council and Study UK to create the MOOC.
About the course
- Characteristic features of UK higher education: including active engagement, critical thinking, evidence-based argumentation, and independent study.
- Study modes: including lectures, seminars, tutorials, student presentations, group assignments, and assessment.
- Language skills for academic success: including reading, listening, note-taking, speaking, and writing.
- Student support services: including library facilities, English language support, and counseling.
- Student life in the UK: including practical advice about finding accommodation, making friends, what to bring, and what to do on arrival.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you'll be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of UK academic culture and the engagement expected of you
- Explore the way teaching and learning is organized in UK higher education and its key terminology
- Reflect on the language knowledge and academic skills you need to achieve success
- Assess the resources that are available to you to support your learning
- Reflect on the positive contribution you will make to UK academic life through the diversity of perspectives you bring
- Develop the confidence you need to feel prepared for study in the UK